Area businesses on alert as Killeen kidnapping investigation continues

News
Killeen_kidnapping_investigation_continu_7_20190226030716

Police are still trying to find three Killeen children after their parents kidnapped them during a supervised visit last week.

Investigators say they were taken from their parents custody after a history of family violence. Now, some people in that area are wondering how they got away.

“I have not heard anything about it,” Breakthrough Nutrition owner Nicole Otis said. “It’s definitely scary. Especially with it being so close.”

On Thursday,  police were called to the 1700 block of Central Texas Expressway. Investigators say 32-year-old Jeffrey and Maria Gilseth abducted the kids during a supervised visit with Child Protective Services.

“You always know that the potential is there but when it actually happens, it opens your eyes a little bit more,” Otis said.

Investigators believe 11-year-old Hunter, 9-year-old Dylan and 6-year-old Levi are in danger. Area hotels and restaurants say they haven’t heard or seen anything since.

“We have a lot of families that come here. We have a lot of kids that are around here,” Otis said. “It’s definitely scary and concerning that you don’t hear more about it.”

Police say the suspects left in a gold and black 2018 Ford Explorer and believe they have left the Killeen area.
Businesses nearby are surprised the kids were abducted just off the highway.

“It kind of makes you wonder honestly what was going on with the cps social workers or whoever it was that was taking care of the kids,” Otis said.

Many now left with questions about how the parents managed to get away during the visit.

“Were they threatened,” Otis said. “Were they just not paying attention? Like, what kind of disconnect was there to have those kids taken?”

Copyright 2019 Nexstar Broadcasting, Inc. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.

Trending now

Upcoming Events

Enter to Win our Contests

More Contests