The City of College Station received a big honor this week.
WalletHub.com named it one of the Top Ten Best College Towns in the Small City category.
The personal finance website looked at social, academic, and economic growth potential.
Austin got the top spot in the large city category.
The lists are as follows:
|Best Large College Cities*||Best Midsize College Cities*||Best Small College Cities*|
|1||Austin, TX||1||Orlando, FL||1||Ann Arbor, MI|
|2||Las Vegas, NV||2||Scottsdale, AZ||2||Rexburg, ID|
|3||Tampa, FL||3||Gainesville, FL||3||Provo, UT|
|4||San Diego, CA||4||Plano, TX||4||West Lafayette, IN|
|5||Seattle, WA||5||Irvine, CA||5||Storrs, CT|
|6||Portland, OR||6||Madison, WI||6||East Lansing, MI|
|7||Los Angeles, CA||7||Pasadena, CA||7||Amherst Center, MA|
|8||Atlanta, GA||8||Salt Lake City, UT||8||Orem, UT|
|9||Miami, FL||9||Tempe, AZ||9||Berkeley, CA|
|10||Chicago, IL||10||Chandler, AZ||10||College Station, TX|
Here is a look at the “Best vs. Worst”:
- Jonesboro, Arkansas, has the lowest cost of a two-bedroom apartment rental, $662 per month, which is 4.7 times lower than in San Francisco and Daly, Calif., the cities with the highest at $3,121 per month.
- Edinburg, Texas, has the lowest cost-of-living index for young people, 76.02, which is 4.7 times lower than in Stanford, California, the city with the highest at 359.79.
- Albany, Georgia, has the lowest cost of higher education, $17,398 per year, which is 4.1 times lower than in Evanston, Illinois, the city with the highest at $70,496 per year.
- Storrs, Conn. is among the cities with the most enrolled students (per 1,000 residents), 907, which is 20.6 times more than in Cape Coral, Florida, the city with the fewest at 44.
- Rexburg, Idaho, is among the cities with the fewest violent crimes (per 1,000 residents), 0.3, which is 68.3 times fewer than in Detroit, the city with the most at 20.5.
- Storrs, Conn. is among the cities with the highest share of part-time jobs, 93.64 percent, which is 3.9 times higher than in Pearland, Texas, the city with the lowest at 24.16 percent.
You can view the full report here.