Candle starts fire in Eagle Crest Apartments in Bellmead

Local

WACO, Texas – Waco Fire Department units were sent to assist the Bellmead Fire Department in battling an apartment fire Tuesday morning.

The alarm was turned in shortly after 8:00 a.m. at the Eagle Crest Apartments, off the 4200 block of Bellmead Drive. Several apartments were evacuated.

A Bellmead Police Department spokesperson on the scene said the initial fire was in an upstairs apartment near the rear of the complex with heavy flames showing as firefighters arrived.

A 19-year-old woman who lived in the apartment said she went to sleep with a candle burning.

She woke up to see flames and tried to put it out with cups of water, but the fire spread too fast.

She then began yelling for help and banged on her neighbor’s door.

Occupants of two apartments appeared to have lost everything.

The woman, who police say was pregnant was not injured.

Three people total were displaced.

Police contacted the Red Cross to provide assistance to the victims.

Copyright 2020 Nexstar Inc. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.

Cosmos

More Don't Miss

Trending now

Upcoming Events

Stay Connected