FORT HOOD, Texas (FOX 44) – UPDATE: The Fort Hood Press Center reported Thursday afternoon that its Fire Department continues to work toward containing the Wildland Management Area fire, which is currently estimated at 250 acres and is now 90 percent contained.

Firefighters also engaged an 80-acre second fire in the vicinity of Clabber Creek Multi-Use Range. This fire is also now 90 percent contained.

In addition to these two fires, the fire department responded to a third fire, near Blackwell Mountain, on the Fort Hood firing ranges. This wildfire is estimated at approximately 60 acres, and is now 60 percent contained.

Firefighters will continue to utilize aerial suppression from CH-47 and UH-60 helicopters to drop water on hot spots and dozers for ground attack operations as needed.

Mutual aid from area communities and the Texas A&M Forest Service were not requested during the current operational period. Texas A&M Forest Service personnel remain on standby if needed.

This comes after the Press Center reported Wednesday afternoon that firefighters were working to contain the Wildland Management Area fire, which remained at 250 acres and was 70 percent contained.

The second fire in the vicinity of Clabber Creek Multi-Use Range was approximately 80 acres, and was 50 percent contained.

Mutual aid from area communities and the Texas A&M Forest Service was completed. Texas A&M Forest Service personnel remained on standby.

“The fire was not started by any type of training. The area where the flames started is not a live fire area, nor was there any training of any type being conducted in that area at the time,” says Col. Chad R. Foster, U.S. Army Garrison Fort Hood commander.

The Directorate of Emergency Services, Directorate of Public Works and units continued with air drops on hot spots, blading operations, and ground attacks. At the time, there were more than 96 airdrops utilizing 2,000-gallon and 600-gallon Bambi buckets.

This originally started on Monday, when Fort Hood emergency services personnel responded to a wild land fire in the east side of training area complex at approximately 9:00 a.m.

Firefighters worked to contain the fire, which was then estimated to exceed 250 acres, and was 50 percent contained. The Directorate of Emergency Services (DES) incident commander requested mutual aid from the Killeen Fire Department, the Harker Heights Fire Department, the Moffett Fire Department, the Copperas Cove Fire Department and the Gatesville Volunteer Fire Department to provide support to the area north of Owl Creek, along Owl Creek Road, to protect structures.

The Texas Forest Service was on-site and provided support for aerial reconnaissance. Fort Hood Directorate of Public Works ground crews were actively cutting fire breaks to help contain the fire from spreading.

Two Fort Riley, Kansas, CH-47 helicopters were used to combat the fires from the air. One CH-47 made drops with a 2,000-gallon Bambi-Bucket.

The Fort Hood Fire Department also identified a 60-acre second fire in the vicinity of the Clabber Creek Multi Use Range, and utilized the second CH-47 to conduct air drops. This fire was 50 percent contained at that time.

Although the cause of the fires have not been determined, training or live fire is not believed to be involved.

East Range Road at Cold Springs and Taylor Valley Roads were closed due to the fire. Military police set up traffic control points, and controlled traffic to Belton Lake.

After sunset, DES officials placed brush-truck crews to monitor the fire activity overnight.