Fort Hood officials hosted a memorial and dedication ceremony for the General Richard Cavazos Mission Training Complex Thursday morning.
The $63 million dollar construction project near West Range Road and Murphy Road will support soldiers through simulation-driven mission command training for III Corps and Fort Hood units.
It is named for Retired Army general Richard E. Cavazos, a former III Corps commanding general, who was a Korean War recipient of the Distinguished Service Cross as a first lieutenant and was the Army’s first Hispanic four-star general.
The contractor is local, MW Builders from Temple.
They estimate the facility will open in the latter part of the summer of 2020.
Gen. Richard E. Cavazos was born in Kingsville and grew up on the King Ranch.
He graduated in 1951 from Texas Tech University with a Bachelor of Science
degree in geology and was commissioned as an infantry officer in the Army
from Texas Tech’s ROTC program.
In 1952 in Korea, he commanded the 65th Infantry Regiment. In Vietnam, he
commanded the 1st Battalion, 18th Infantry Division of the 1st Infantry
Division. He commanded at every level of command in the Army, to include
command of the 9th Infantry Division at Fort Lewis, Washington, and III
Corps at Fort Hood.
He twice was awarded the nation’s second highest combat decoration, the
Distinguished Service Cross, twice awarded the Silver Star, five times
awarded the Bronze Star with V Device and wears 29 other combat awards
including the Purple Heart. He was also an Airborne Ranger qualified and
wore one star on his Combat Infantryman’s Badge.
He was promoted to general in February 1982 and assumed command of the U.S.
Army’s largest command, the U.S. Army Forces Command at Fort McPherson,
Cavazos retired from active service July 1, 1984, and resided in San
Antonio. He is in the U.S. Army Ranger Hall of Fame, the Fort Leavenworth
Hall of Fame, the Texas Tech Athletic Hall of Honor (football) as well as a
Distinguished Alumni at Texas Tech University.