A fire that started in a shed in Lampasas was spreading to a nearby home Wednesday evening, leading to its evacuation and the occupants being displaced.
A Lampasas Fire Department spokesman said the call came in at 7:49 p.m. from 1112 East Avenue F.
When the first trucks rolled up, firefighters noticed a shed next to a house was engulfed, with the flames already spreading to the house.
Police were already evacuating the residents from the house when the fire trucks arrived.
The fire was quickly brought under control, but damage to the house, particularly to the electrical wiring, required that the residents be moved out.
The Red Cross arrived on the scene and made arrangements for the family to stay in a motel.
Firefighters determined that electricity had been run from the house to the shed using an extension cord in violation of city code and that someone had been living in the shed.
The shed and contents were a total loss.
Cause of the fire remained under investigation Thursday.