A man accused of threatening a mass shooting on Fort Hood made an appearance before a federal magistrate in Waco Tuesday and was told he would be getting treatment.
Thomas Anthony Chestnut was scheduled for a detention hearing before U.S. Magistrate Jeffrey Manske on a charge of Interstate Communication with Threat to Injure.
The charges were read to him informally rather than with other defendants scheduled to appear and he was told he would be sent for treatment as soon as possible.
Chestnut, who at the time of his indictment listed a Dripping Springs address, was accused of making verbal threats when he called and spoke with a sergeant and a major at the U.S. Army 1st cavalry Division at Fort Hood.
Chestnut was accused of threatening to go to Fort Hood, kill the sergeant, take hostages, start a mass killing spree and then kill himself if he was not allowed to speak with someone of rank.
Chestnut then spoke with a major and advised that he was a former soldier wrongly accused of a crime and eventually released from prison in 2016.
Chestnut had been found guilty by a military jury June 24, 2014, of one charge of sexual assault and found not guilty of one charge of assault consummated by a battery in an incident alleged to have occurred at Fort Sam Houston, Texas, in 2012.
Chestnut was sentenced to a three-year prison term.
His conviction was overturned on December 24, 2016, and he was released from the U.S. Disciplinary Barracks at Fort Leavenworth, Kansas.
He was not in the army at the time of the alleged threats.
He was seeking back pay that he felt was due him.
FBI agents arrested Chestnut without incident on February 24, 2017.