Unattended cooking fire causes thousands in damages

Local
temple fire and rescue_1551312764163.JPG.jpg

An unattended cooking fire causes $17,000 worth of damages to a Temple mobile home.

Temple firefighters responded to a reported fire on Tuesday at the Bluebonnet Estates Mobile Home Park, located at 910 East Young Avenue. 

Firefighters arrived and found light smoke from the front door and a burned section of an outside wall on the mobile home. 

Four people were home when the fire occurred, and two of them received minor injuries. One was treated at the scene and refused an offer of medical transport. One person was transported to Baylor Scott & White Medical Center – Temple for evaluation from exposure to smoke. 

The blaze displaced three people, who are making temporary living arrangements. 

Fire investigators determined the fire was unintentional and started in the kitchen from unattended cooking. The home was protected by working smoke alarms. Fire damage was limited to the kitchen area with the remainder of the home receiving smoke and heat damage. 

Dollar loss to the structure and contents is estimated at $17,000. 

Additonally, Temple Fire and Rescue would like to share these tips when in the kitchen:

  • Stay in the kitchen while you are frying, boiling, grilling, or broiling food. If you leave the kitchen for even a short period of time, turn off the stove.
  • Keep anything that can catch fire — oven mitts, wooden utensils, food packaging, towels or curtains — away from your stovetop.
  • If you have a small grease fire on the stovetop and decide to fight the fire, smother the flames by sliding a lid over the pan and turning off the burner. Leave the pan covered until it is completely cooled.
  • For an oven fire, turn off the heat and keep the door closed.
  • If you have any doubt about fighting a small fire, just get out of the house.  When you leave, close the door behind you to help contain the fire.
  • Call 9-1-1 once you’re safely outside.

Temple Police and Temple EMS responded. Temple Fire & Rescue responded with seven units and 21 personnel. The call was dispatched at 7:11 p.m. and the first unit arrived at 7:17 p.m. Under control was at 7:25 p.m. and all units cleared the scene at 8:33 p.m. 

Source: Temple Fire and Rescue

Copyright 2019 Nexstar Broadcasting, Inc. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.

Trending now

Upcoming Events

Enter to Win our Contests

More Contests