A man arrested when police arrived on the scene of a burglary in progress faces numerous other charges, including a break in at the Waco Dillards store in 2018 and was out on bond on multiple charges at the time of his arrest.

Trenton Eric Smith was arrested Monday morning after police were called to the 2100 block of Ridgewood Drive.

The caller told officers that someone had entered the home while she was inside and that she had managed to slip out through a window and go to a neighbor’s to call police.

She was able to tell officers where in the home he had been when she last saw him.

After police arrived, they searched the home and found the suspect hiding in a closet. He was taken into custody and found to be in possession of several items belonging to the homeowners.

Smith was taken into custody and later transported to the McLennan County Jail, where he was charged with Burglary of a Habitation and Resisting Arrest.

But McLennan County Jail records indicate that is just a part of the story.

In addition to those charges, records show that he had been previously bonded on three separate counts of burglary of a building in cases brought by both the McLennan County Sheriff’s Office and Waco PD.

He had also faced charges from the Department of Public Safety for possession of a controlled substance.

Waco Police had other charges of theft of property over $30,000 and evading arrest and a charge of aggravated robbery with a deadly weapon. That theft charge was connected to a December 2018 break in at the Dillards store in the Richland Mall in Waco

Smith and Michael Paul Anderson were charged with theft and other offenses following that incident.

The actual burglary that involved the theft of assorted Versace sunglasses, Michael Kors watches and jewelry valued at an estimated $35,000 took place December 14,

Police and the store manager responded to the store when an alarm was tripped at 1:13 a.m. that day.

The manager spotted two men wearing masks leaving the area of the store carrying Dillards cosmetic bags containing property from the store.

The arrest affidavit says video evidence provided by Dillards showed two men walking into the store at 9:18 p.m. with one of the men apparently hiding inside the store .

Video also showed one of the men walking around inside the store about 1:00 a.m.

A cellphone and sweatshirt were found that had been left behind
On December 18, police got information that a woman was selling Michael Kors watches on the Facebook Marketplace site with the post being made the same date as the burglary.

Detectives contacted the woman and were told that the watches were held by two men who drove a maroon pickup.

They also recovered a bracelet given her by the two men.

Later that day, Waco police officers set up a buy from the suspects, who fled when they determined that police were involved.

The high speed chase that then began ran through Lacy Lakeview, Bellmead, east out Highway 84, then south on rural roads near Elk where the driver lost control of the pickup and crashed.

The two men fled on foot.

As the search continued with the help of bloodhounds and a helicopter, Anderson was caught near a tree line.

Smith turned himself in the next day and later bonded out.