CAMERON, Texas (FOX 44) – UPDATE: The police officer and the suspect killed in the Cameron shooting have been identified.

Milam County Sheriff Mike Clore announced Friday morning that the two individuals involved are 39-year-old Sgt. Joshua Lee Clouse and 29-year-old Albert Rafael Acosta – both of Cameron.

Sgt. Joshua Clouse. (Courtesy: Cameron Police Department)

Family and friends of Sgt. Clouse released a statement about his passing:

“Josh died doing what he loved by protecting and serving the community. The outpouring of love & support from our community and from across the state has touched our hearts deeply. Although our hearts are heavy now we have such peace knowing that Josh is with his Heavenly Father. He has given us the peace that passes all understanding even though we lost a true hero. We know that we can do all things through Christ who gives us strength and we will overcome. In being true to Josh’s memory and the amazing man of God he was we would like to take this moment to let everyone know that if you don’t know Jesus Christ as your Lord & Savior please reach out to Brad Dusenberry of Harvest Bible Church in Rockdale his cell phone number will be with Cameron PD. We would also like to extend our deepest condolences to the family of Mr. Acosta.”

Friends of Sgt. Josh Clore

Police originally responded to the 700 block of N. Travis Avenue in Cameron on a report of a gunshot victim. The victim told Cameron PD that the victim was shot in the back of the neck by the victim’s spouse.

Police investigated, and then applied for a search warrant at a residence in the 500 block of E. 7th Street. Cameron PD, the Milam County Sheriff’s Office, the Rockdale Police Department and the Texas Department of Public Safety attempted warrant service at the suspect residence.

Acosta opened fire on law enforcement personnel, and law enforcement fired back. Acosta was mortally wounded, and Sgt. Clouse was also wounded.

Sgt. Clouse was transported by AMR to the nearest ER, where the officer succumbed to wounds inflicted by the suspect. Police say there is no immediate danger to the public.

The Milam County Sheriff’s Office has requested for the Texas Rangers to investigate this incident.