The man Waco police had been trying to arrest when a K-9 turned on his handler and was shot has been arrested by U.S. Marshals and is now behind bars in the McLennan County Jail.

It was 31-year-old Kevin Arnette Copeland that police were looking for when they went to a residence in the 2000 block of Seneca last Friday when two-year-old K-9 Kastor attacked his handler as officers breached the front door.

Officers shot Kastor when he refused commands to stop his attack on handler Michael Bucher.

Police had obtained an arrest warrant for Copeland in connection with a violent attack on a store clerk and the taking of her phone back on September 22 at the Dollar Tree store at 1428 Wooded Acres Drive in Waco.

Waco Police Department spokesman Patrick Swanton says the attack and assault on the clerk occurred about 6:45 p.m.

The clerk was opening an additional checkout line as shoppers backed up and reached to pull a shopping cart to the new line.

Copeland is accused of becoming belligerent with the clerk, claiming a child’s hand had been on the cart when she moved it.

Store personnel told police he became irate, assaulted the clerk, destroying things in the store, breaking glass throwing items on the floor, knocking over merchandise displays and picking up a cash register and slamming it to the floor.

As he was leaving, he noticed the clerk trying to take his picture with her phone and came back grabbing her phone.

She begged him to give the phone  back because it had pictures of her children on it, at which point he is accused of coming toward her, grabbing her by the collar and slamming her to the floor.

She told officers he came at her a second time and once again threw her down behind a car, tearing her clothes.

Police noted that the clerk was five feet high and weighed 110 pounds while Copeland is just under six feet tall and weighs 250 pounds.

The victim suffered ripped clothes and numerous cuts, bruises and abrasions all over her arms and body.

Police say they were able to identify Copeland from security camera pictures in the store and that store personnel picked him out of a photo lineup.

After the incident with the K-9, officers were not able to find Copeland, who occupants of the house said wasn’t there.

He was arrested in Ennis, Texas by members of the U.S. Marshal’s Task Force.

He was booked into the McLennan County Jail on charges of robbery with bodily injury.