The Hewitt firefighters are reminding everyone the importance of having working smoke alarms at home.
This after a Temple family credits their detectors for saving them on Thursday.
The firefighters say two thirds of all fire deaths are caused by lack of alarms or non working ones.
One woman spoke with Fox 44 on Sunday about why smoke alarms are especially important to her.
Monica Rios has Sleep Apnea and has to sleep with a breathing machine over her face.
She says, “It pushes air through it so I don’t always recognize smells around me. Smoke alarms are extremely important especially if you are a deep sleeper.”
The firefighters stress the importance of having smoke alarms.
Justin Parker, the firefighter says, “It is imperative that every home has a working smoke detector in every bedroom, every hallway, every room in the house. Fire can ignite, burn extremely fast and overtake a building very quickly. “
He explains that fire doubles in size every 30 seconds.
And that’s why maintaining smoke alarms is crucial.
Parker says, “You wanna test them monthly.”
Rios says, “Just make sure the light is green because when it is red that means the battery isn’t necessarily working.”
Parker says to replace detectors every ten years.
He says to watch out for house appliances, such as oven or dryer.
“When you go to bed they could malfunction and before you realize there is a problem.”
Rios has a dog at her apartment and points out that’s another reason for her to have working smoke alarms.
She says, “I wouldn’t want anything to happen to her.”
The firefighters suggest to have an escape plan in case of a fire.
And if you need help installing a smoke alarm call them and they’ll do it for you.