TCU QB, Earl Campbell Award finalist arrested in San Antonio


Texas Christian University quarterback and Earl Campbell Award finalist Trevone Boykin was arrested in San Antonio Wednesday night.

Boykin was jailed after a bar fight at Pat O’Brien’s. The fight reportedly began when some bar guests recognized Boykin and “exchanged words”, reports WOAI. That’s when Boykin allegedly became angry and began trying to hit the patrons. Boykin, along with others, were removed from the bar.

NBC5 reports San Antonio police arrived by bicycle shortly after and attempted to break up the fight, along with bouncers from the establishment. That’s when police say Boykin’s friends held him back and told officials they’d escort him back to the hotel.

Police then say Boykin tried to punch officers who arrived at the scene. Boykin was then taken to the ground and police threatened to use a stun gun on him.

One bicycle officer was treated at the scene for cuts on his knees and a swollen face, which he got during the scuffle.

TCU officials released the following statement to NBC5 regarding the incident:

“We are aware of a situation last night and are gathering information. We will continue to closely monitor this and evaluate additional details as they become available.”
Boykin was arrested for assaulting a police officer, public intoxication and resisting arrest.
TCU is in San Antonio for the Valero Alamo Bowl against the Oregon Ducks. The game is scheduled for Saturday, January 2, 2016.

San Antonio Police Chief William McManus met with the media Thursday morning to discuss the events that took place.

“What we understand is that there was some jaw-jacking going on in the bar between Mr. Boykin and some other patrons about the game,” said Chief McManus. “An altercation started and kind of floated outside the bar. There were some bike officers in the area that noticed it, came over and got in between Mr. Boykin and the patron that he was arguing with. At some point, Mr. Boykin struck the officer. Both of them fell. His teammates tried to get him away. Prior to this though, his teammates tried to take him back to the hotel and he broke away from them and came back and then he got into it with the officer. They both went to the ground. Mr. Boykin was finally subdued after being threatened with a taser. He stopped struggling and was arrested, taken to the mag’s office (magistrates office) and charged. The officer was treated for a swollen face and some bruises and abrasions. That’s pretty much what we know right now.”

Boykin was booked into the Bexar County Jail on $5,000 bond.

Copyright 2019 Nexstar Broadcasting, Inc. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.

Upcoming Events

Enter to Win our Contests

More Contests