UPDATE: Texas Rangers investigate Temple death

WAYMON MANOR APTS TEMPLE_1506703275999.jpg

UPDATE: Police have identified the man who died while in custody on Thursday night.

They say 40-year old Stephen Gayle died after showing signs of medical distress.

Below is the original text from this story:

Texas Rangers are looking into the death of a man who died after struggling with Temple Police officers Thursday night.

The man was reported to be uncooperative and combative with officers who had responded to a disturbance call at the Wayman Manor Apartments at 1811 East Ave K.

When officers arrived a little after 7:30 p.m. they found the man they believed to have been causing the disturbance.

“He was screaming, you can hear him screaming, you know this is how he was screaming in the street, this is how he was screaming and I was like OMG he’s going to jail,” said a witness who recorded the event on her cell phone.

Officers on the scene said he appeared to be under the influence of some kind of substance and when they tried to detain him, he began to struggle with them.

“I know he was not on no substance because I was told after the fact that he was not on drugs, that’s how he act normally,” said the witness. “After they tried to put him in the car it’s like he wouldn’t go so they started forcing him in the car like abusively, punching him, kneeing him.”

During that struggle, officers noticed that he appeared to be having some sort of medical distress and emergency medical personnel were called to the scene.

“They forcefully threw him to the ground and had they knees in his back like four officers on top of him,” added the witness.

The man was taken to Baylor Scott and White Hospital in Temple where he was pronounced dead at 9:07 p.m.

“He was already unresponsive, he was already dead when he was put in the back of that car, once we didn’t hear any more screams, he was dead already,” said the witness.

The name of the man who died had not been released by Friday morning pending notification of next of kin.

“The cops did still kill a human being, and he was African American and he fought for his life, literally into his last breath, he fought for his life,” said the witness.

The Texas Rangers are conducting the investigation into his death with help from the Temple Police Department’s Violent Crime Squad.

Copyright 2021 Nexstar Inc. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.

Trending now

Upcoming Events

Stay Connected