Baylor Press Release:
AUSTIN, Texas – No. 21 Baylor softball (26-13, 4-6 Big 12) bounced back with a strong win over Texas (26-16, 9-1 Big 12) on Tuesday afternoon at Red & Charline McCombs Field.
Gia Rodoni (15-9) and the Lady Bears handed Texas its first Big 12 loss of the season and snapped a four-game skid for BU.
Rodoni showed total control in the circle, working the complete game shutout over 7.0 innings of work, limiting the Longhorns to just three hits with eight strikeouts and three walks.
The Lady Bears gave Rodoni an early lift of support, jumping out in front in the second inning.
Goose McGlaun ripped a double down the left field line, with Madi O’Neal pinch running.
A fielder’s choice bouncing grounder by Nicky Dawson caught O’Neal in the base path, keeping a runner on with one out.
Taylor Ellis sliced a single into right, with Hannah Smith drawing a walk to load the bases.
Maddison Kettler put the Lady Bears on the board with an RBI groundout that was snagged on a diving effort by the Longhorns, pushing Dawson across the plate and keeping runners on second and third with two outs.
Jessie Scroggins cracked a single into left field that allowed both Ellis and Smith to score, pushing BU’s lead to 3-0 after two.
The Lady Bears advanced a runner into scoring position in all but the fourth inning, but the three-run outburst in the second stood as the only scores in the ballgame.
- Baylor won its third-straight game over the Longhorns, taking six of the last seven games in the ballgame.
- Scroggins (252 career hits) now sits just one away from tying Lindsey Cargill (253, 2014-2017) for the program records in career hits.
- Baylor improves to 20-29 all-time versus the Longhorns, including a 7-16 mark in Austin and 20-23 under head coach Glenn Moore.
- Baylor’s first four hits all came on the first pitch of the at bat.
- Baylor improved to 8-1 versus teams from the Lone Star State in 2018.
- Kyla Walker improved her season high hitting and on base streaks both up to 10.
- Jessie Scroggins (2-for-4) had her 21st career multi-hit game, the 75th of her career.
- With two RBI, Scroggins added her seventh multi-RBI game of the season and the 19th of her career.
- Carlee Wallace (2-for-4) picked up her 10th multi-hit game of the season, taking her career total up to 44.
Baylor returns to Waco and Getterman Stadium for the final three-game home series of the 2018 season, hosting Kansas on April 20-22.