Baylor Press Release:
LOUISVILLE, Ky. – Baylor men’s golf is tied for third place after shooting 4-under-par 280 in Monday’s first round at the NCAA Louisville Regional at University of Louisville Golf Club. The Bears are seven shots ahead of the top-five team cut to advance to the NCAA Championship.
No. 25 Baylor (-4) trails only No. 11 Auburn (-8) and No. 1 Oklahoma State (-6). The Bears are tied with tournament-host No. 21 Louisville (-4) and lead No. 48 West Virginia (+2), No. 49 Arizona (+3), No. 37 Iowa State (+4), No. 13 North Florida (+8), Mississippi State (+10), No. 35 Arkansas State (+11), Jacksonville State (+16), Southern Illinois (+17) and New Mexico (+18).
Cooper Dossey is tied for second place in the 75-player field after shooting 4-under-par 67 in the first round. Dossey played a clean round with 15 pars, birdies on Nos. 3 and 17 and an eagle on No. 13. He trails only Louisville’s Matthias Schmid, who shot 5-under 66 on his home course.
Ryan Grider is tied for 11th place after a first round of 1-under 70. Grider’s six birdies are tied for the tournament lead. He made the turn at 3-under, but fell back to 1-over after four consecutive bogeys to start the second half of his round. Grider rebounded with three pars and two birdies over his final five holes to get back under par.
Braden Bailey made four birdies on his way to an even-par 71, which has him in a tie for 16th place. Garrett May played clean in the second half of his round with eight pars and one birdie to finish with the Bears’ final counting score at 1-over 72, tied for 27th place. Colin Kober carded 3-over 74 to sit in a tie for 44th place.
- Baylor is tied for second in the 13-team field in par-3 scoring at 1-over 3.05, ranks third in par-4 scoring at 4-over 4.07 and tied for fourth in par-5 scoring at 6-under 4.60.
- Baylor’s 16 birdies are tied for third-most in the field, and BU is tied for fourth with 58 pars.
- Dossey and Grider are tied for the lead in the 75-player field in par-3 scoring at 1-under 2.75.
- May and Dossey are tied for 12th in par-4 scoring at even-par 4.00.
- Dossey is tied for second in the field in par-5 scoring at 3-under 4.00.
- Grider is tied for the tournament lead with six birdies, while Bailey is tied for 13th with four birdies.
- Dossey is tied for second in the field with 15 pars, while Kober is tied for 11th with 13 pars.
STAT OF THE DAY
6 – Ryan Grider tied for the tournament lead with six birdies in the first round. He made one of 11 birdies on No. 7, one of 15 birdies on No. 8, one of six birdies on No. 12, one of 27 birdies on No. 13, one of 13 birdies on No. 15 and one of 42 birdies on No. 17.
Baylor is paired with West Virginia and Arizona and will tee off from No. 10 for Tuesday’s second round. Kober has the Bears’ first tee time at 7 a.m. CT (8 a.m. in Louisville), followed by May at 7:11 a.m., Bailey at 8:22 a.m., Grider at 8:33 a.m. and Dossey at 8:44 a.m. Wednesday’s final round pairings will be determined based on standings through 36 holes. Live scoring of the NCAA Louisville Regional is available at www.golfstat.com. Follow @BaylorMGolf on Twitter, Instagram and Facebook for updates throughout the season.