Baylor Press Release
By: Krista Pirtle
• After going 1-2 vs. Oklahoma State last weekend, Baylor returns to Getterman Stadium to host No. 9 Texas.
• The Lady Bears went 1-2 against the Cowgirls with a 2-1 victory on Saturday. Trailing 1-0 heading into the sixth, BU plated a pair of runs in the bottom of the frame – one scored when Taylor Ellis walked with the bases loaded and the second off an infield single by Ana Watson – to take the lead. Sidney Holman pitched the complete game, allowing one run off three hits with six strikeouts. OSU had only one hit in the last six innings.
• Goose McGlaun has at least two hits in five of the last eight games. In the win vs. OSU, McGlaun went 1-for-1 at the plate.
• Ana Watson, who started at DP all three games, finished hitting .500 against Oklahoma State. The freshman hit her first career home run on Friday before recording the game winning RBI on Saturday.
• Saturday’s crowd of 1,573 marked the third largest in Getterman Stadium history – 1,835 on April 12, 2014 vs. Oklahoma and 1,744 on May 6, 2014 vs. Texas. On the weekend, a total of 4,419 fans came out.
• Regan Green was named the Big 12 Pitcher of the Week March 5, marking her first career Big 12 weekly award. It is also Baylor’s first weekly award of the season. Green pitched a complete game in the win over Southern Utah and matched her career high with 11 strikeouts. She struck out 50 percent of the batters she faced (22). It also marked her fourth career double-digit strikeout game.
• McGlaun leads Baylor at the plate, and is seventh in the Big 12, with a .410 batting average.
• Nicky Dawson has reached base safely in every game this season, making her 28-game streak a new career-high. She’s also scored a team-high 18 runs.
• Kassidy Krupit is the team leader with 19 RBIs. She also leads the team with six home runs.
• Sidney Holman has been stellar in the circle for BU. She’s pitched 95.2 innings and has allowed 53 runs off 101 hits with 81 strikeouts.
• Baylor is 9-3 when scoring first in 2019.
• The Lady Bears are 11-2 when the opponent scores two runs or less this season.
• Baylor will play 24 games against 12 programs that advanced to the 2018 NCAA Regionals, including WCWS participants Washington and Oklahoma.
• Baylor is 270-99 over the last 7 seasons, averaging over 38 wins per season since 2013.
• BU was picked 3rd in the Big 12 preseason coaches poll behind Oklahoma and Texas.
A LOOK AT TEXAS
• BU is 21-30 against the Longhorns and has won the last five contests against Texas.
• UT is coached by Mike White who is in his first year in Austin after spending the last nine years at Oregon where he led the Ducks to five WCWS appearances, five Pac-12 titles and nine-straight NCAA Super Regional appearances.
• Texas started out the season 10-0 before suffering its first loss of the year against LSU, 1-7.
• Over the weekend, the Longhorns swept their Big 12 opening series against Iowa State – 11-0 (5), 6-1, 7-2.
• Pitcher Miranda Elish was named the Big 12 Pitcher of the Week as she went 2-0 in the circle last week. She had a 0.00 ERA, her second career no-hitter, a one-hit shutout and 20 strikeouts. She also batted .364 with three runs scored, a grand slam and five RBIs. She was also named the NFCA National Pitcher of the Week.