Baylor Press Release:
EAST LANSING, Mich. – Baylor women’s golf finished tied for eighth place at the NCAA East Lansing Regional, coming up seven strokes short of advancing to the NCAA Championship. The Bears shot 7-over-par 295 in Wednesday’s final round at Forest Akers West Golf Course.
No. 32 Baylor (+26) finished tied with No. 21 Campbell (+26). NCAA Championship berths were awarded to the top six teams – No. 12 Kent State (-4), No. 5 Arizona (-3), No. 14 UCLA (+10), No. 4 Stanford (+14), No. 28 Illinois (+18) and Indiana (+19). Tournament-host No. 20 Michigan State (+22) finished in seventh place.
The Bears notched head-to-head wins over LSU (+34), No. 41 Louisville (+38), No. 39 Georgia (+39), No. 33 North Carolina (+42), No. 45 Augusta (+47), Xavier (+47), Long Beach State (+62), Harvard (+64) and IUPUI (+96).
Diane Baillieux posted Baylor’s best final round with a 1-under 71 to finish in tie for 66th place at 15-over 231. Maria Vesga carded 2-over 74 in her final collegiate round to tie for 39th place at 8-over 224. Erica Chiang and Emma Bradley recorded matching rounds of 3-over 75, with Chiang tied for 27th place at 6-over 222 and Bradley tied for 72nd place at 17-over 233. Gurleen Kaur finished tied for 23rd place at 5-over 221 after a final round of 7-over 79.
- Baylor finished tied for second in the 18-team field in par-3 scoring at 10-over 3.17, ninth in par-5 scoring at even-par 5.00 and tied for 10th in par-4 scoring at 41-over 4.27.
- Baylor ranked third in the field with three eagles, 10th with 32 birdies and tied for 11th with 154 pars.
- Kaur tied for second in the 96-player field in par-3 scoring at 1-under 2.92, while Chiang tied for 13th at 1-over 3.08.
- Chiang led the team and tied for 19th in par-4 scoring at 3-over 4.10.
- Kaur tied for the tournament lead with two eagles.
- Baillieux tied for eighth in the field with 10 birdies.
- Chiang led the team and tied for 21st in the field with 35 pars across 54 holes.
- Kaur finished her sophomore season with a 72.91 stroke average, which was the fifth-best single-season mark in program history.
- Vesga wrapped up her four-year Baylor career with a 74.45 career stroke average across 110 rounds, which ranks as the sixth-best mark in program history.
- Kaur will enter her 2019-20 junior season ranked third in program history with a 73.14 stroke average across 51 career rounds.
- Baillieux will enter her 2019-20 junior season ranked ninth all-time at Baylor with a 75.05 career stroke average across 55 rounds.
STAT OF THE DAY
12 – Diane Baillieux trimmed 12 strokes off her score from a second-round 83 to a final-round 71. She made four of the Bears’ 10 birdies on Wednesday, notching birdies on Nos. 1, 7, 11 and 17.
Baylor wrapped up its 2018-19 season with the tie for eighth place at the NCAA East Lansing Regional. Vesga is the Bears’ only graduating senior, and the Bears have two highly-regarded incoming recruits for the 2019-20 season. Follow @BaylorWGolf on Twitter, Instagram and Facebook for updates throughout the season.