Baylor Press Release
By: Cody Soto
WACO, Texas – No. 7 Baylor men’s tennis (11-2) used a strongly contested doubles point to spark a 4-0 sweep over 11th-ranked Illinois (3-4) Friday night at Hawkins Indoor Tennis Center.
Baylor improved to 23-1 in its last 24 home matches and is 7-0 this season in Waco. The win also snapped a two-match losing streak to the Illini, improving the all-time record to 6-6.
BU fell down early on all three doubles courts and played its way back into the match. First, Will Little and Matias Soto took a 6-3 victory over Keenan Mayo and Aleks Kovacevic at the No. 2 spot.
Then, Adrian Boitan and Constantin Frantzen climbed out of a 4-2 deficit to take the match, 7-5, over Vuk Budic and Gui Gomes on court three to seal the doubles point.
Up 1-0, the Bears used four first sets to keep the momentum. First, Boitan breezed past Caleb Chakravarthi and won 6-0, 6-1, on court five. Then, Matias Soto knocked off his highest ranked opponent of his career, upsetting No. 28 Alex Brown in straight sets, 6-4, 6-3, on court two.
No. 117 Sven Lah clinched the match for the Bears when he took down Keenan Mayo, 7-6(4), 6-3, on court four.
To keep up with things all season long, follow the team on social media: @BaylorMTennis.
• Baylor improved to 6-6 all-time against Illinois and snapped a two-match losing skid to the Illini.
• Baylor swept its fifth opponent of the season and first ranked foe.
• Baylor is now 23-1 in its last 24 home matches dating back to 2017.
• Baylor is now 5-2 against ranked opponents this season, including 3-2 against top-15 teams.
• Baylor is now 10-3 in the doubles point and 10-0 when winning the opening point this season.
• Baylor improves to 7-0 in the doubles point at home.
• Baylor is now 38-2 in doubles and singles points at home, including three straight shutouts.
• Matias Soto beat his highest ranked opponent in his career, taking down No. 28 Alex Brown in straight sets.
• No. 117 Sven Lah improved to 11-1 in singles action.
• Adrian Boitan and Constantin Frantzen won their first doubles match together and clinched the point on court three.